Have you ever heard that old saying "do what you love & the money will follow"? I totally believe it. If you're genuinely happy with your career you will be successf in more ways than one. I have recently started a career as a freelance marketing consultant. I thought that after I graduated (December 2012) that I had to go straight to Forbes 500 companies because that was what I was being told for the past 4 years. But after not seeing an opportunity for myself I made an opportunity. I began the first steps in owning my own marketing consulting company; I couldn't be happier about my decision. If you're thinking about going towards a freelance career here are my reasons as to why you SHOULD!
1) Make Your Own Hours: Whether you're a morning person or night person it doesn't matter because you can work when you want to, as long as the job gets done.
2) Work in Comfort: Not everyone, especially creative individuals, can work in a 3-piece suit. When you work from home you can work in your yoga pants and baggy sweat shirt!
3) Determine Your Wages: Wheb you work freelance jobs you can choose how much you make. This puts an end to getting minimum wage when you received a 4-year degree.
4) Make Your Own Schedule: I get to work out at the gym when I want or go get groceries when I want because I works freelance career. The convenience I get is priceless!
5) Save Money: When you work freelance you save gas money, clothing money, and money on household expenses. Household expenses? Yes, you can make more meals from home because you are no longer "stuck in traffic" or "working late to meet a deadline."
6) Ditch the Drama: when you work freelance you don't have to deal with bitchy coworkers. This alone is an amazing reason to choose freelance!
7) Bathroom Breaks: I drink a TON of water every single day, I always have to go to the bathroom. But when working in an office you can't leave hour desk constantly without looking sketchy. When you work from home you can go pee as much as you want!!
Monday, January 28, 2013
It is so easy for all of us to get caught up in our daily lives and forget to spread a little joy onto someone else. So I am presenting you with a list of random acts that I have done and have yet to-do! I challenge you to commit a random act once in awhile and see how amazing it truly feels to put a smile on someone else's face :)
- Send a 'thinking of you' card to a friend or family member that you have lost touch with.
- Start a small stash of canned goods that you got from a BOGO coupon and donate your freebies to your local food pantry.
- Put a few extra quarters on top of the gumball or small toy machines at the grocery store.
- Keep a few baggies in your car filled with a few toiletry items to give out to the homeless when you see them on the side of the road "begging."
- If you are as fortunate as me to live where it snows (slight sarcasm) brush off the snow/ice of your neighbor's car if you leave for work or school before them.
- Go through your closet and pick out the clothes you no longer wear and donate them to an all women's shelter.
- Paper or plastic? If you choose to have your groceries bagged in plastic save the plastic bags and donate them to a local animal shelter.
- Remember that pile of books from when you were a kid? Donate those to a local school or library.
- Simply hold the door open for someone. It may seem like a no-brainer but there are people who lack basic etiquette.
- Return your shopping cart and someone else's when out shopping.
- Surprise your loved one by cooking their favorite meal for dinner.
- Get a few people together to make a handmade card or small gift and donate them to an elderly care center or children's hospital.
- When was the last time you actually thanked your parents for putting up with you for the past twenty-some years and loving you unconditionally? Call them up, send them flowers, or go and visit them and thank your mom and dad for everything that they have done for you and continue to do.
- So your bartender or server is less than cheerful, give them a bigger tip than usual with an inspiring quote. You have the chance to turn their day around!
- If you have a green thumb and have extra fruit or veggies, share them with your neighbors.
- Compliment someone.
- Write inspiring and motivating quotes on sticky notes and place them where people will see them (without littering, of course).
- Next time you see a mom with three screaming kids in-line behind you, let them cut in front of you.
- Put a few extra quarters in someone else's parking meter if you see that it's about to expire.
- Next time you get coffee through the drive-thru buy coffee for the car behind you.
Thursday, January 24, 2013
If you only see dollar signs when you hear the word 'vacation' this post is for especially for you! Vacations can be expensive but if you do it right you will save money and see sandy beaches and delicious food when you hear 'vacation.' So with spring break and tax refunds coming up, it is time to start planning your next adventure!
1. Scope Out Deals: As you enjoy your morning cup of coffee check-out these deal sites. This is the only way my friends and I travel now because the deals are AWESOME! Most of the packages that you can get from these sites come with luxurious suites, bar and spa credits, and some are all-inclusive!
2. Avoid Weekend Travel: Try to make your main travel days Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Hotel rates are much cheaper during the week than they are on the weekend. Plus, if you are going to Vegas or somewhere similar, during the week you have a greater chance at getting better deals on shows and spa treatments.
3. Flying Tips: The best absolute best day to book your flight is Tuesday morning around 6am. And when you are booking your flight, fly red-eye! When you fly red-eye you can knock off up to $80 per ticket! While I love saving money because I fly at night or early morning I also LOVE that everyone is sleeping and quiet when flying at these times.
4. Pack Light: This is another flying tip, pack as light as possible because many airlines still allow you to bring on two carry-on bags like a suitcase and large purse. If you check your luggage in you are looking at $60 per bag or MORE if you go over the 50lb limit! And lets not forget how expensive it will be if the airline loses your luggage and you have to buy new clothes while on vacation...not worth it, just pack light.
5. Become a Local: Many people think that because they are on vacation they need to eat at a restaurant for all of their meals. This is not a good idea. Not only will eating out at every meal cause you to gain unwanted pounds but it is SO darn expensive!! After you are done unpacking and getting settled in go grocery shopping and buy food that you can prepare and eat on-the-go. I'm not saying you shouldn't go out to a fancy or fun restaurant the whole time you are on vacation, but you should put a limit on it. I suggest going to local farmer's markets for fresh fruits, veggies, and fish so your prepared food tastes is also a delicacy.
6. Negotiate: Sometimes prices fluctuate and that can really throw off your budget, so negotiate. Be polite and nice when negotiating, that is number one. Ask the hotel for local deals, promotions, and specials; it can't hurt to ask.
7. Ditch the Hotel: I personally have not tried this yet, but I am looking into it after hearing so many wonderful things about it. Instead of staying at an over-priced hotel check out these websites that have apartments, condos, and even rooms for rent. They have the same luxurious feel and can give you a better taste of the local culture than a hotel.
www.vrbo.com www.homeaway.com www.airbnb.com
8. Insurance: Always check with your current insurance policies and your credit card policies because they almost-always cover car rental insurance, lost luggage insurance, etc. There is NO reason for you to pay twice on a service that you already have.
9. Travel in Groups: Try and get some friends or family to travel with you because then you can rent a house and split the cost to save money. Just because you travel together it doesn't mean you have to spend every second together.
10. Off-Season: Not every vacation destination can be traveled in the off-season but if you can you SHOULD! You can save up to 60% off on rooms, car rentals, attractions, and more if you visit during the off-season. It's definitely worth considering.
Well one of the latest foodie trends is quinoa! It's packed with protein and fiber and is gluten-free. It's also incredibly versatile, you can have it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snacks. Here are some new recipes for you to try so you can get your daily dose of quinoa! Just click the pic to view the recipe!
Buffalo Chicken Bites
Cheesy Zucchini Quinoa
Chocolate Chip Quinoa Trail Mix Balls
Loaded Quinoa Veggie Burgers
Garlic & Thyme Quinoa Patties
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Quinoa Pizza Bites
Roasted Shrimp Quinoa Spring Rolls
Quinoa Sushi Rolls
Toasted Quinoa Salad with Scallops & Snow Peas
Chicken-Sweet Potato Quinoa Stir-Fry
Crispy Quinoa Sliders
Cinnamon Quinoa Bake
Check out some of the top trends for January in women's fashion! So what's HOT right now? Fitted and peplum tops and anything containing the following key words: sheer, lace, bows, or sparkle!